Thought leadership is the public relations process and tactics used by CEOs, business owners, innovators and academics to position themselves as authorities and to communicate their thinking and big ideas to the world.
Tactics can include things like personal branding, blogging, social media, publicity, business books, talks, podcasts … basically any and everything that enables you to showcase your expertise and build your visibility and credibility both on and offline.
Positioning yourself as a powerful authority or industry expert will be a key business and leadership aspiration as we begin to rebuild post-COVID.
Being a recognised expert builds visibility and credibility which in turn opens doors to customers, investors, funding bodies, the media, conference organisers and key decision makers. People want to do business with or have dealings with those who are known authorities and perceived to be good at what they do.
But where do you begin and what is involved?
Parker Public Relations has developed a coaching and communications service directed at individuals looking to manage their own thought leadership journey … but needing help in getting started.
This service comprises a compulsory start-up package which will put the key fundamentals in place in order for you to kick-start your thought leadership journey. Once done, we will work closely with you, providing ongoing coaching and advice, even stepping in with hands-on assistance if and when required.
Online gap analysis
This will enable us to determine where the gaps are in how you appear online and determine how best to improve and strengthen your online presence.
Thought Leadership Strategy Workshop
This will take the format of a 2-3 hour workshop. This will enable us to clarify:
- Your goals and motivations
- Your expert niche
- Key audiences and communications’ platforms
- Story ideas and your narrative journey.
- Possible lead generation materials – e-books, guides, training materials and checklists.
- Information for personal branding
- Your personal story. A strong personal brand should be supported by a compelling story.
- Your tagline. You should be able to tell the world exactly who you are in 6 words or less.
- Visual brand identity. Your imagery and headshots.
- Secure information to write your bio.
- Do you need a personal website? Having your own personal website is a great way to develop your personal brand. It gives you a launching pad where people can learn more about you.
- Tweak your existing website and/or social media platforms
- Create a calendar and action plan – this will determine the timing of stories and specific action
- Create list of ideal clients and stakeholders
- Develop a list of relevant media, bloggers, podcasters and conference organisers
Develop your personal branding/strengthen online presence
- Update personal branding and thought leadership status on social media profiles, websites and elsewhere online
- Create email signatures to reflect thought leadership niche
- Add new social media platforms where relevant.
- Set up alerts and notifications. This enables you to actively ‘listen’ to what is happening in your industry and find out what the competition is doing and keep up with your peers. You can also follow thought leaders or experts in your niche and connect with others who are doing similar things, even if they are in other cities or states.
- Connect online with key audiences, stakeholders, professional groups, conference organisers, journalists.
- Ensure social media platforms are optimised and quickly found online.
- Set up monitoring tools and analytics to measure progress.
Teach you how to engage on social media
We will teach you to:
- Grow your contacts
- Engage on social media. You can do this by contributing your advice, commenting on posts that you find a personal connection to, and finding ways of helping others in your or in a complementary field. The more active you are, the more relevant you become.
ONGOING COACHING AND COMMUNICATIONS ASSISTANCE
Once the key fundamentals are in place, we will work with you ongoing, providing coaching and advice, even stepping in with hands-on assistance if and when required.
Coaching and hands-on involvement can include:
- Creating your content – blogs, social media content, articles, media releases, speeches, video and podcast scripts, e-books, website content, training materials or branded collateral.
- Reaching out to the media and generating publicity
- Managing your social media
- Exploring conference, event keynotes and other presentation opportunities.
- Sourcing videographers, podcasters, web developers, photographers, graphic designers, etc.
- Business book coaching – helping you get started and remaining on track while writing your book.
Find out more:
0422 694 503
What our Clients Say:
“I engaged Wendy when I realised that I needed a voice communicate my ideas to the broader community. Wendy helped me focus my vision and articulate it in a clear and succinct way but also explained the dynamics of thought leadership and what I was about to embark on. Her associate Trudy Rankin gave me a crash course in social media tools that complemented my action plan. I have since readjusted my thinking about what I do and how I project myself. I would recommend Wendy’s company to anyone wanting to better understand themselves and how they can engage with other thought leaders and communicate their messages to a broader audience.”
–Len Sciacca, Enterprise Professor – Defence Technologies, Melbourne School of Engineering
“Understanding your brand value can be a difficult undertaking. Wendy’s personal branding and thought leadership coaching, strategy and action plan allows you to begin navigating this complex area with purpose. The clear structure she provides in enhancing your reputation and capability to present as a leader in my field was of an enormous assistance. Importantly, the approach is grounded in authenticity which makes the process very comfortable and empowering.”
– Murray Smith, State Manager (Vic)General Manager AHPRA (Australia Health Practitioner Regulation Authority). Former Director, Vic Building Authority.
“It was great to learn from Wendy’s experience and insights into thought leader and how to share my ideas with my professional networks. Wendy took me through a wide range of tools and processes – from the most fundamental to the more advanced. I now putting these ideas into practice and am excited about where this will lead …”
– Matthew J Barnes Technical Co-founder @Drawboard
“’Thought leadership’ was a term that I’d not encountered until someone suggested it might be useful. Going to Wendy and Trudy’s Master Class was enlightening and constructive. I look forward to working with both of these great women in the future as I continue looking for ways to be more effective in the world (well at least on my little patch!)”
-Geoffrey Binder, Research Professional in behaviour and organisational change